1 cup (100 grams) pistachios
2 mid size pears chopped and poached in cane-sugar syrup
2 cups of wholewheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
1 1/4 cup organic cane sugar
1 cup canola oil (or other flavourless oil)
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees C). Get your muffin tray ready with the liners. Toast the pistachio for about a couple of minutes. Let cool and then chop coarsely.
- Peel and finely chop the pears. Poach them till they become soft in cane sugar syrup ( about 1 cup of water and 1-2 tbsp of cane sugar
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and ground nutmeg. Beat the eggs until frothy (about 1 minute).
- Gradually add the cane sugar and beat until the batter is thick and light coloured (about 3 – 4 minutes). Add the oil in a steady stream and beat.
- Add the flour mixture and beat just until incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Fold in the poached pears and chopped pista.
- Evenly divide the batter and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack.
My Tip: Poaching the pears in cane sugar syrup is very important