As the homes awaken to steaming cups of tea, And the mountain café becomes alive with scents from the oven,
I sat on a table, with a book, a cup of coffee and a fresh piece of pie, The serenity from the mountains settles within my soul, as I gazed at the rising sun…
For anyone who knows me, the love for mountains supersedes the love for a whole lot of other places unequivocally. So when I read “Made by Happy Himalayan Women”” on the Bhuira Strawberry Preserve bottle, I was smiling to myself 🙂
I was eager to try out the Strawberry preserve sample. But while I wanted to use it in a classic bake, I wanted it to be healthy in line with my overall philosophy at Ovenderful.
So I deconstructed the traditional “Bakewell tart” to replicate its flavours-
What you see here is a layer representing the crust, made of Wholewheat, Oats and Almonds with a wee bit of organic cane sugar and some butter, followed by the delicious strawberry preserve and then the “filling” is part wholewheat instead of the traditional all-purpose flour, topped with almond flakes.
The excellent quality of the preserve totally shines through, so sharing it with everyone here who might want to explore it in their baking
For the crust: 1 cup wholewheat flour
1 /2 cup oats flour
¼ cup ground almonds
1 tbsp cane sugar
50 gm butter
For the filling ( texture is like sponge cake frangipane) : 3 tbsp of wholewheat flour and 3 tbsp of all purpose flour
3 tbsp of ground almonds
¼ cup butter
¼ caster sugar
1 egg (I have excluded the baking powder but if you want you can add 1 tsp of that)
- Mix the dry ingredients together. Rub the butter (should be cold and cut into cubes) into the dry ingredients till it looks like bread crumbs. If it seems dry use a tablespoon of cold water, only to bring the dough together and cling wrap it.
- Keep it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Line the base of a greased tin with the crust dough and blind bake for 20 minutes at 170 degrees Celsius. Once it is done, spread the strawberry jam evenly over this.
- Then whisk together the flours and ground almonds and keep it aside. Beat the butter and the caster sugar with an electric mixer in a bowl until light and fluffy. Whisk the egg into the mix.
- Fold the the flour mixture, a spoon at a time, into the egg mixture, folding until just incorporated. Spread the batter over the jam in the pie shell.
- Bake it in the preheated oven (same temperature of 170 degrees until the filling is firmly set and browned, about 30 minutes) Sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar.