Around 28-30 years ago, I was travelling with my family by road to someplace in West Bengal. As luck would have it, we had planned to stop and eat food on the way but for some reason we couldn’t. I have faint recollection of why that was – I think it might have been due to heavy rains.
Finally we saw a gurdwara at Bagdogra and stopped there. It was a time of the day between lunch and dinner so we weren’t sure of whether we will find something to eat. I ate hot chapattis with some ghee on it and a simple pickle to go with that.
That memory of food is not a faint recollection. Why? Because I loved what I ate.
To a hungry person, the simplest of meals is satiating.
To a person with too much on the plate, the most exotic of meals is dissatisfying.
The world as we know it – has changed.
The world as we will know, when we step out – has changed.
The world as our children will see it – has changed.
Our food consumption has to become full of – thoughts, mindfulness and care. Keep it minimal, repurpose what you already have and don’t hoard or waste.
Simple Ghee Residue Wholewheat cookies – 4 ingredients and a tbsp of milk. The residue that’s left over after ghee is made, wholewheat flour, raw unrefined sugar, ground almonds. Mixed in 1 bowl.
2-3 tbsp of ghee residue
1/2 cup of raw unrefined sugar
2 tbsp of ground almonds
1 cup of wholewheat flour
Milk to bring the dough together – 1 or 2 tbsp.
- Put the ghee residue and unrefined sugar into a mixie and mix well.
2. Add the almonds and pulse it well to mix and also ensure that it forms a smooth mixture.
3. Add the wholewheat flour and hand-mix it.
4. Add milk to bring the dough together.
5. Shape the dough into cookies using cookie cutters.
6. Preheat the oven to 170 degrees C, for 10 minutes.
7. Place the cookies onto a baking tray and bake for 12-13 minutes. Be careful to not over bake else they can turn hard or the residue might burn inside the cookies.
8. Cool off entirely and store in air tight container.
Please note that no butter or oil or ghee has been added. The ghee residue and the oil that gets released when almonds are pulsed together are sufficient for the fat that is needed.