Do you like a bread that is flavourful? I know that sounds like a strange question because who doesn’t like that.
But most people still go on and use store bought breads which not only lack flavour but also the right nutritive value. And then we go ahead and blame baked goods for ill-health. We have the knowledge to make discerning choices. We have the access to ingredients that were never available earlier. How about becoming a conscious baker and consumer first?
I am about to start a session about healthy baking and this recipe below already has three ingredients that I am explaining from an immunity boosting and healthy baking perspective.
It is a breakfast I have enjoyed on many mornings. Quietly absorbing the flavours and the goodness of powerful clean ingredients, when peace and quiet prevails, and only the birds are interested in what I might be doing sitting by myself on the verandah swing.
Usually you do not find breads baked with jaggery powder but if you find beautiful and intense, locally sourced organic jaggery powder that should be your yeast activator – which is why I used WellBe’s Jaggery Powder for my homebaked Khapli Wheat Loaf.
Healthy baking has a fourth element to it apart from the flour, sweetener and fat. That one factor which ups its nutrition quotient. And I always try to keep that intact in my bakes. So for this bread too – my secret is to add the Moringa powder from Wellbe. It blends in seamlessly and adds that fourth dimension to make my bake complete.
Have a look at the detailed recipe here and tag @sim_ovenderful and @wellbefoods when you try it!
2 ½ cups Khapli Wheat Flour
1 tsp pink salt
2 tbsp Wellbe Jaggery Powder
1 tsp red chilly flakes
1 tsp Wellbe Moringa Powder
1 ¼ teaspoon instant yeast
2 tbsp flavourless cold pressed oil
1 cup warm water
Standard cup size = 240 ml
- Mix the jaggery powder in warm water.
- Add instant yeast and mix well. Let it turn frothy in 10-12 minutes.
- Mix the flour, salt, flakes and moringa powder.
- Add the oil and stir.
- Add the frothy mix to the flour mix.
- Knead nicely for 10-12 minutes.
- The dough should be soft and firm, not sticky.
- Make it into a loaf and put it in a greased loaf tin.
- Brush the top with oil and sprinkle some seeds ( optional)
- Cover with a damp muslin cloth and keep it in a warm place to rise for 1 -2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C for 10 minutes.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes or till done.
- Take it out of the oven and allow it to cool fully before slicing.